Sunday, March 16, 2014

Heavy Metal is not just heavy


I still don’t have an answer when people ask me why I love to listen to someone screaming their nut sacks off, its too loud, heavy, illegible, you don’t even know what the hell they are singing about.

I love heavy metal but I don’t despise other genres. My listening ear can range from country, punk, rock, jazz, blues, classical, rap and hip-hop. (Did I miss anything?)

The Internet is full of stuffs that say if you like heavy metal, you are sick or depressed. I am not, I am a perfectly normal and a happy human being and I am not depressed.

Of course I am not that big a fan of metal music, I just like them, (sometimes I even catch myself humming Just give me a reason, just a little bits enough…)

If you were a big metal fan, you would know the genre gets even more violent, sickening, dark and gory. It doesn’t seem to make sense; those black metal bands that growl half the time with their terrifying appearances.

But bands like Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine (RATM) and Slip Knot, to name a few are good heavy metal/rock bands. If you read some of their lyrics you will realize, rests of the bands in the music industry are all shallow and garbage.

RATM, a rap metal band, from I don’t know where, for instance has the most revolutionary, powerful lyrics ever written. The following are some of the pullouts from their songs.

‘You can kill a revolutionary but you can’t kill the revolution,’

‘As I recall our downfall and the business that burned us all, see through the news that twists reality,’

‘They murdered ex and blamed it on Islam,’ and the classic ‘fuck you I won’t do what you tell me’

I love such lines in a song they are powerful. And they express in a way they really would want to. And the music if you really listen is not just a flurry of drums and guitars; they are carefully composed and rhythmic.

Dream Theater, besides being one of the best musicians, is also one of the most intelligent lyricists the music industry has ever seen. And no, they just don’t scream out their nut sacks, they have many soft, sad songs too. If you want to check it out yourself, listen to Spirit carries on and beneath the surface, it will make you cry if you have your heart in the right place.

If you listen to John Petrucci’s Hourglass and State of Grace, you would know how great a musician they are. These instrumentals will make you happy and sad at the same time.

So I would like to tell you that I love heavy metal as much as you love contemporary music or a soundtrack from vampire diaries. Don’t tell me I am depressed, I just have my taste elsewhere.

You see, you love good charlotte, and I love Metallica, there is no such thing as ‘bad’ music.





No comments:

Post a Comment